Container technology is often used to test, deploy, rebuild applications for multiple environments.
If a user wants to run its application in a completely different environment, the application is shifted to the containers.
Containers are sets of software packages the codes and other necessities used to run applications more efficiently from one environment to another.
Let us answer some basic questions related to container technology.
Container monitoring is the process wherein the inspection of its working process is done continuously.
It collects matrices to be sure about its proper functioning.
The matrices collected need to be immediately saved to a centralized location as they get deleted whenever containers are deleted.
This is because of the containers’ stateless nature, and because of the same, it is often difficult to monitor.
Evaluating Docker containers in real-time assists users in ensuring that the applications are performing better. Some other reasons for which the monitoring should be done are as below:
- Early detection of errors.
- Delivering improved performance.
- Implement changes safely whenever a problem is detected.
We shall discuss in detail, the monitoring tools for docker below.
Some of the docker container monitoring tools for Docker have been explained below:
Server and application monitoring by Solarwinds assist users in managing containers with its Docker monitoring and visualization tools.
It assists users in viewing performance metrics, tracks the deployment of the application, monitors applications.
- Users with the help of SAM (Server and application monitoring) are able to track uptime, performance metrics, CPU memory etc. for individual docker containers.
- Users at the same time can monitor multiple containers and their deployments.
- With SAM users can evaluate and track overall system performance.
Need to contact the sales team for pricing.
Dynamic docker monitoring by datadog assists users by keeping them updated about their entire container environment’s overall performance.
Moreover, it also assists users in investigating issues rapidly.
- Users are easily able to analyze the overall health of containers.
- Users can have an efficient view of containers with the help of a live container view.
- Detect clusters with auto generated container maps.
Need to contact sales team for pricing.
Sematext works as a tiny container as it collects the logs and metrics of all hosts.
It is activated with a single docker command.
It can be run as a Docker Swarm service, with Rancher, or with a marathon for Mesos or DC/OS.
- Can be deployed on any docker platform quickly.
- Assists users in discovering new containers without the intervention of users.
- Users can easily set up alerts if any anomaly is detected.
Pricing details for Sematext are discussed as under:
Users can avail of this service for $50 per month for a standard plan and $60 per month for pro.
Users are charged $0.007 per container host per hour for standard plan and $0.011 per container host per hour for Pro plan.
For a startup plan users are charged $9 per month for up to 25k views per month.
For a standard plan users are charged $19 per month for up to 100k views per month.
A Pro plan user is charged $89 per month for up to 100k views per month.
To pay – as -you -go plan users are charged $2 per HTTP monitor and $7 per browser monitor.
For standard plan users are charged $29 per month for maximum 40 HTTP and 5 browsers.
Docker monitoring by Dynatrace helps users monitor containerized applications either within docker environments or in the outside environment.
- Easily and immediately users can have a real-time data related to the connection within containerized process.
- Easily track the performance of your applications.
- Users can easily view the messages associated with a particular application in a container.
Need to contact sales team for price plans
Docker monitoring by Site 24 by 7 provides users with detailed info into docker containers and hosts.
- Users can analyze the usage and performance metrics of individual containers.
- Receive key information like CPU usage, cache memory etc.
- Automatic start/stop response to a container from 24 by 7 web client.
Need to contact sales team for pricing plans.
cAdvisor (Container advisor), assists users in understanding the resource usages and performances of running containers.
It collects, aggregates and processes information about the running containers.
- Supports every container type.
- Keeps record of every container workings.
- Ideal for kubernate users.
It is an open-source platform.
Prometheus is an open-source monitoring tool.
Users can configure docker for Prometheus.
To configure the Docker daemon as a Prometheus target, you need to specify the metrics address. The best way to do this is via the daemon. json.
- It’s Open-source.
- Receive time series data identified by metrics name and key/value pairs.
- Receive information in the form of graphs.
It is open-source.
Sysdig is a Linux system troubleshooting tool with efficient support for containers.
- Assists users in detecting anomaly with the help of FALCO and automated polices.
- Create your own rules to detect an unexpected application behavior.
- Receive a detailed forensic report to answer questions like when, who and why for a particular incident.
It is open-source.
Appoptics by solarwinds, make monitoring containerized applications easier and simpler through visualization.
- Receive accurate information of centralized applications through visualizations.
- Easy to configure.
- Users can understand the relationship between dependencies and services.
For Infrastructure Monitoring
Users are charged $9.99 per host per month if billed annually and $12.90 per host per month if billed monthly.
For Infrastructure and Application monitoring
Users are charged $24.99 per host per month if billed annually and $29.90 per host per month if billed monthly.
LogicMonitoring assists user’s in providing complete visibility into their microservices as well as centralized applications.
- Automatically discovers containers without any manual intervention.
- Easily fits in an existing ecosystem with easy integration with configuration management and orchestration.
- Retains data for up to two years.
Need to contact sales team for pricing.
Monitoring is a better way to keep your applications efficient and users happy. Above mentioned tools will assist users in managing their applications in an efficient manner.